Thanks to all of the latest technological advances in the automotive industry, those faced with physical disabilities now have more options than ever when it comes to selecting the right kind of wheelchair van or other mobility product to help them meet their unique needs. The following are some things to consider when trying to assess what kind of adaptive driving equipment you may or may not need.
*This information is intended to be used purely for informational purposes. Please consult with your doctor as well as one of our qualified vehicle modification dealer specialists to help you make the most informed decision.
Evaluating YOUR Needs
What is my budget?
The type of adaptive driving equipment that you need will depend, largely, on your budget. Know ahead of time how much money you will need, based on the actual cost of the adaptive technology you require.
What are the limitations within my disability?
Each disability is different, and the type of adaptive driving equipment you’ll need will depend on a number of factors, which the NHTSA lists as:
- Muscle strength, flexibility, and range of motion
- Coordination and reaction time
- Judgment and decision making abilities
- Ability to drive with adaptive equipment
The NHTSA states that driving rehabilitation specialists will perform comprehensive evaluations to help identify the adaptive equipment most suited to your needs. You’ll also want to work with your medical care team as well.
Selecting a Wheelchair Accessible/Handicap Vehicle
Other questions to think through when considering adaptive equipment needs include:
- Will a regular passenger sedan suffice, or will my adaptive equipment require a wheelchair van?
- Will the vehicle be able to handle the amount/type of adaptive equipment that may need to be installed?
- What about additional room for passengers/family?
- Do I have adequate space at home to park my vehicle and get out?
- What additional modifications may need to be made down the line?
As you can see, there are numerous considerations to take into account when selecting mobility products and adaptive driving equipment for your wheelchair van or vehicle.
If you are just getting started in the selection process and have questions or concerns about which types of adaptive equipment is best suited to your specific mobility situation, contact a Van Products mobility specialist today. All of our mobility specialists are highly trained professionals in the area of wheelchair vans, adaptive vehicle equipment, and various other mobility needs.
Toll Free: (800) 209-6133
Leave a Reply