Summer in North Carolina means grabbing your sunscreen, slipping into your swimsuit and heading to the coast to soak up the sunshine.
Heading to the beach is a great chance to spend time with family and friends and get a change of scenery. Being in a wheelchair doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy relaxing on the beach.
Check out our beach access guide for tips on planning your getaway:
- Make sure the beach has accessible ramps. Some beaches also offer surf chairs.
- Once you are on the beach, make sure your chair can navigate safely in surf and soft sand. You may want to consider purchasing or leasing an all-terrain wheelchair.
- When booking your hotel, describe the specific features you need, such as a roll-in shower and elevator access. Don’t be afraid to ask for measurements like door width, bed height or floor plan.
- Take a chance to research restaurants in the area, and call ahead to make sure they are handicap accessible.
- Beach communities are more than just sand and surf, so look for other accessible activities like miniature golf, parks,or museums.
Living in the Tar Heel State means the beach is just a short drive away. Van Products wants to help you get there. Give us a call today to hear more about our fleet of wheelchair vans.
Leave a Reply