At Van Products, we are proud supporters of our nation’s military – both in those who serve as well as the families of military veterans. As such, we offer wheelchair van services in Virginia, and we also help provide opportunities for veterans.
Today, we’d like to take a moment to shine a spotlight on veterans and disabilities in Virginia.
Statics About Veterans and Disabilities in Virginia
- As of September 2014, there were 781,388 veterans living in the state of Virginia. [source]
- Of these, 107,201 were female veterans, and 674,187 were male veterans.
- Roughly 268,000 veterans in Virginia are over the age of 65.
- Approximately 33,000 West Virginians have a developmental disability.(West Virginia Developmental Disabilities Council, 2012)
- In 2015, Virginia became the first state in the USA to functionally end veteran homelessness. [source]
- Virginia is home to three Veterans Affairs (VA) medical centers: Hampton VA Medical Center, Hunter Holmes McGuire Richmond VA Medical Center, and the Salem VA Medical Center.
- There are 15 community-based outpatient clinics in Virginia. [source]
- There are approximately 165,000 veterans in Virginia who are receiving disability compensation.
- Approximately 6,000 veterans in Virginia receive a pension.
- There are approximately 261,000 enrollees in the VA healthcare system in Virginia.
- More than 148,000 unique patients are treated at VA hospitals in Virginia.
- An estimated 962,000 people in Virginia have a disability, or 14.1% of the population age 5 and over. [source]